Thursday, July 17, 2014

Value system

I had a thought about writing goals, and I've been introduced to several methods to write them and hopefully they become worthwhile to maintain let alone achieve it. Many a times they are easily forgotten.

We tend to set goals on a more short term basis simply because that's how humans work. We tend to feel satisfied by the benefits in the short run. The faster we see the return the better we feel - very much like a business person, I truly believe that everybody the potential to be financially successful but not many can withstand a few shortfalls before reaching financial success.

Which means as we achieve a short term goal, we start another goal and the cycle goes on. There's nothing wrong about that except that our goals can go to every direction which means one goal may be against another.

Before we even set out goals, think about setting our values first. By having certain values to follow, u can set goals according to it - your goals are usually coherent to each other and you define a consistent way to achieve your goal. We all have subconscious values that we readily follow, but we need to recognise it.

I never recognise it before this but a very good personal example that I've gone through is this (it has taken me many years to recognise it). When I was almost graduating from my bachelor's degree, I thought I really want to earn lots of money and be really successful. About a year ago I was at a point where I was deciding to leave the alcohol industry or not - in retrospect it seems pretty clear why I made the decision to leave but at that time I just couldn't I was making a decision about the money/career factor and happiness, and eventually happiness prevailed. As simple and as naive as it may sound, our values are usually intangible and invaluable. Don't get me wrong, money is very important but I recognise that I have a personal value that is higher than that and is something that can help me decide against money.

And with every important decisions that I make now, it becomes easier to decide with a value I hold close to. If our goals are built around these values, it becomes easier to construct, maintain and achieve. And over a long period of time you build your goals around a consistent theme, and that helps you build a set of goals that are coherent and achievable as a "set" rather than separate goals.

And with values, it makes it so much easier to breakdown goals, we always fail our goals because we are always not specific enough. But for our values it should be a big / general idea something that do not have a lot of limitation on how it can be applied to but while maintaining that "freedom" it should also have a consistency in its application.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home