Thursday, May 08, 2008

Everyone has something to think about, to be stressed about. Its just a matter of managing your expectations. I'm no different from most of us, I'm a terrible worrier, worrying things that may not be as significant as it may be. But as we grow, this gut feeling gets worse. Gut feelings are never always right, to begin with.

I've been thinking about alot of things recently, which in the end it actually boils down to $$. I did learn something about myself too, finally. Its got something to do with my job. When I was still an undergraduate, I kept thinking about what I do in the future has got to do with something I'm studying or like. Money is a criteria too, but what really matters is that I'll like my job.

Well it took me a little long to understand this but, nothing else really matter more than the money my employer is willing to pay me (for me at least). Now what I really think is how much am I really worth in the industry. Now don't get me wrong, its not that I'm not enjoying my job, I do, and I'm really learning many things now, not only in what my job requires me to do, but also the understanding of how an organization works. How to climb up the corporate ladder, how to be street smart.

Come to think about it, I've observed something simple: How to be at the top of the game?
If you work long enough in a company, well obviously, you've done your work nicely, meet your datelines, have a good relationship with your superior and your colleagues, you're on the right track up the ladder. If you think about it, its really a no brainer, just do OK, at work, do not create conflicts and just go with the flow, and everything's gonna go your way. I've met people who're who they are cos they've been doing it for the past twenty years. I know your director has been in the company for 10 years or so. Its a matter of time, really...

Well, this is really how I see the organization now.. In 2 years time, when I'm 25, and I still think the same on this, then this could well be true.

So... it really bothers me now... to know if I'm really worth what I'm paid now. I've been surrounded by many mediocre temptations that I can't even afford. Its like a social casualty to me, knowing someone is being paid higher than you. It really bothers me that sometimes I'd think about when I sleep and when I wake up in the morning, and when I drive.

It all boils down to that god damn shit called money. I just hate it. Its worse than crap. If crap can eat and crap can shit, thats what it is. Crap's crap.

***

Not too long ago, someone asked me, "Why don't you drink?" Well, at that time, not wanting to elaborate, I impulsively answered, "I'll never sell my principles". I'd like to apologize for not giving an explanation.

I was also asked, "What if you get a job that pays you three times your pay but you have to drink?". I'll answer your question now, after giving it a few months long of thinking... thru painful personal experience, I never really like its taste, I never really enjoyed alcohol, and I get an allergic reaction after consuming, that lasts for a week or so. Everyone said it can be trained, that you'll stop getting rashes if you drink more, and its an "acquired taste".

Its really about the principles I believe. I guess if I'm able to put it in a different situation, you'll be able to understand how I feel about drinking. You're a doctor, if a person offers you three times your salary to be a construction worker, to do what you're not good at, and not your choice, would you do it? Well, it holds true for me too, if I was offered more than what I'm being paid to be a telephone operator, I'd rather not do it. Basically, I'd only do something that would have some sort of value to me. Well, if you're an immigrant and you love doing tough labour, by all means accept that high paying construction job. But it certainly isn't my cup of tea.

***

Ever since I got my tattoo done, everyone asked, what fish is that? To answer your question:

Its actually the fighting fish you normally see in a aquarium shop. The one in the hundred plus bottle. It means something to me. It symbolizes my spirit to fight for my life, and that I'll want to win even if I have to die. I'd fight for what I want. It also reminds me of where I come from. Fighting fish is never an expensive fish, it can be easily acquired at a very low price. Thats what I am, I came from a small town, and was never a rich brat, never a yuppie. I strive to earn my own legacy.

Cool huh? I actually came up with that story like 5 minutes ago, cos I'm really bored of explaining to people what it is. For now, thats my story if you wanna know what it is... If you want to think its a koi, arowana, carp, or whatever, its really.... up to you.

Cos I really hate it when people ask, why do you go back to Melaka every week. Its like... "sukalah if I wanna go back" Right? right? right?

***

By the way, Ipoh trip was fun, its been awhile since we've travelled together. And happy mothers day to all mothers, cos mothers are the most awesome people in the world. Anyway, My mother is more awesome than your mother. Yes, your mother! YOURS!

8 Comments:

Blogger Hi I'm ken. said...

Yea, but what IF you're paid higher, with the same job, but higher respnsibilities, and to maintain a good relationship with your company's client, you'll have to drink? That's what we meant la.

And, did your Koi shrink like Tim's panther became a cat?

And yea yea, I wanna balik Melaka I balikla! got kacau your mother berak?

Crap's crap. (._.")

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Yes, what you're saying is true, I'm just putting it in an extreme case in my entry.. but think about it this way.. what you're saying is if I was given a chance doing the same thing with more money but have to drink. Its like you like football but I ask you to like Ronaldo as well... can't do that to yourself right? right? right? Although it may come together as a package, sometimes it just don't go along well.. if you get what i mean..

But chill la, its not that I won't drink la.. not when I don't have to... A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do anyway.

When Ronaldo goes to Liverpool, you'll learn to like him also la.. haha

My fighting fish is still the fighting fish! What up!

Oi! Mother mother don play! haha

1:46 AM  
Blogger Hi I'm ken. said...

Ronaldo comes to Liverpool? OMG DISASTER.

Anyways, let's not bring the brainless football fights here.

Let's settle this once and for all. I shall tattoo a fighting fish to finish your little crap off! What up!

Design for me 1. kthxbai.

ps: I dowan fish tattoo.

7:13 PM  
Blogger CharSiu said...

wah you malaccans...err, melaka ftw?

if you're allergic to alcohol then you'd better not take it, or else end up in hospital like my girl friend last time. that's just stupidity.

i guess job-wise, you just gotta ask yourself "what do i want to achieve ultimately?" and take steps towards that instead of looking only at money. of course there are bills to pay, but it's better to struggle now and achieve something later than to take all the wrong jobs now and struggle when you're old. in the end, we're all just working towards our retirement.

gosh, work sucks.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Yeah man! Work sucks! Yeah man retirement.. retirement.. But I guess there's not really much of a right/wrong choice in choosing a job when you're not even sure you've taken the right course in college, to begin with... Its more like getting a job that pays and makes you feel comfortable la.. in my honest opinion, at least..

Then in the end, when my child is born, then I'll say the things that the insurance ad says "I want you to be able to do the things I never got to do.." hahahaha.. if you know which ad im talking about..

8:16 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

And yeah! All you people stop asking me to drink already! Thanks Eva!

8:16 PM  
Blogger CharSiu said...

yea! let's make jules smoke instead :P

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home