Monday, May 11, 2015

Sydney

I have recently been offered a job in Sydney. It was one that I worked really hard for and I've spent countless time and energy for the offer to finally take place.

The catch is this, I take a drop in grade and dollar to dollar I'm taking in lesser salary as well. That being said, after doing my calculation, there will be a deficit every month, with the biggest hit from taxes and rental. The relocation fees sounded good (flights for my wife And I, extra month salary, free accommodation for one week and work visa not only for me but for my wife too!) But probably not enough for sustaining a healthy lifestyle or nurturing a married relationship.

Opportunities like this don't come by very often but there were a lot of consideration coming into play, such as quality of life, different expectations in life, pride and prospect.

Many people have given their view and some think that I should go on and make that leap of faith and some actually expressed caution. After all this isn't the most straight forward decision, every little consideration must be taken into account as this is a life changing experience.

If the above setbacks are not concerned, then making the decision would have been easy. If I was single, then this wouldn't be a problem, if I don't have money to pay rent, I could just bunk at a friend's, nothing much, but its much different now than it was then.

I am close to consider this opportunity a pass, But am still going back to negotiate nevertheless. At this point I have got nothing to lose. And perhaps everything to gain, maybe nothing to lose.

Whats most important now is I learned something from this experience. Something about myself and how to reach to making decisions like this. Maybe this could be useful for those who still read my blog :)

1. First and foremost. If it is something you want, usually making a decision isn't so hard. It is when you have your doubts that it is hard to make decisions. If you have doubts and that is stopping you from deciding, then probably it isn't the best for you. If your gut feelings tells you something you better listen to it.

2. Always put down on paper what will the reality be? Always do calculations on whether or not you can survive with what is given and what you can accept. That is the most basic.

3. If you want people's opinion, be open to them. If you only give half details, people will give you misleading opinions. I didn't really share my calculation to those people I seek for advice, turned out everyone wanted me to take on the opportunity and said I was foolish if I didn't

4. Always take what other people say with a pinch of salt. It is in the end your decision, not theirs.

5. Take calculated risks, not any type of risk. When you ask yourself what if this doesn't work out, your answer should almost always be "at least..." and not "at most...." If it is an at most situation then that's probably a good sign of caution. It is always good to know your apetite for risk... You dont go and make an investment just because somebody put it right in front of you.

6. Be flexible, but don't be foolish. Employers dont usually give you exactly what you want, be flexible but not foolish. Know what you can give up on and know what is too much to give up.

7. Understand your expectations and circumstances. You can always let go of things here, but how much do you want to let go? If you are very accessible here, opportunities are here, and you have built something solid here, are you willing to let it all go and start fares?

8. Lastly if you decide to go or stay, be confident that you have only decided for whats best for you. You have done a sensible thing by considering the different factors. Dont let what people may say about you make you feel bad about your decision. At the end of the day it is your life, not theirs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Helmi Deris said...

hi Julian Chow. i still read your blog.

regards,
Helmi Deris
twitter.com/helmi_deris

2:00 AM  
Blogger Rileen Aya said...

so did u go?

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home