Thursday, July 07, 2011

But we're gonna start by drinking old cheap bottles of wine


Have you ever thought of how you will be marking different parts of your life? Some people do by buying bigger houses, nice cars, more houses or more cars. Well, there are certainly some finer things in life that you would spend a fortune on to mark a certain phase of your life. For me, its watches. I know it's fairly common to collect watches but hey, coming from a kid whose grandfather operates a watch shop, I really can't help it.

Some people would question and say why do you spend $16,000 (by the way that would be the price I would pay next if I can afford to) for a watch instead of $500 since both of them tell time anyway...? I felt that was an insult and that wearing watch is like your choice of transport. You could take a motorbike to work as opposed to driving a car, both takes you to your destination anyway.

And collecting expensive watches are not like collecting cars or anything else. While technology
gets more advance, watches gets more expensive when older technologies are used. Quartz watches, digital watches are getting cheaper, while mechanical watches gets more expensive. In haute horology, it is about the beautiful designs as well as the complications of making that watch.


It is not just a statement, a license to brag, it is more than that.

Wearing expensive or cheap watches both does the same thing for you, telling you the time but in watches, it is all about your emotional attachment to that watch. You just feel it is right for you and is for you - its close to choosing a life partner but in this case, you get to choose more than one.

It is not about buying 2 watches every week or month or so. It is about marking one's status in life. The watch tells someone about you, a 40 year old wearing a Rolex Datejust tells someone he's already made it at that point of life. A 30 year old guy wearing a Panerai Marina says that he is young rich person who has taste... etc. It tells someone he is someone.

To me, I want to look back in life saying that the Tag was the watch I bought when I just got promoted, and that Omega Seamaster was wat I wore when I started my own business. As old fashion as I can be, I want a Rolex Submariner before I retire - there are many other luxury watches I could choose, but this is just a brand I could relate to closely. My dad has a Enicar homage watch which has the Rolex oyster perpetual design. He's an avid collector himself, and he is one of the reasons why I got myself into watches as well. It tells time, and it tells his time and story.

If I could, I would like to have 5 luxury watches at least to mark different times of my life (maybe more but probably I'd buy more just because haha). And of course, when I look back in life, if I have all 5, I knew the future me has actually met the goals of the present me. And the last watch being the Rolex Submariner because it is an evergreen watch, and you have to earn the rights to wear it, 1.Maturity 2.Wisdom. - it is the watch I'd like to pass down to my son one day and say, "This watch was my legacy, and you will inherit it"

That's how watches mean to me.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, I want you next.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home