Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 2 Siem Reap

Our transfer to Angkor was at 8 but we're 15 minutes late after breakfast, btw breakfast was your standard American breakfast style or Khmer noodle soup. And when we're done, the tuk tuk driver was late.







What I can say about Angkor wat is that at first sight (a day pass is US$20 and u could get 3-5 days pass), it was really great, breath taking. The view of the entire Angkor wat from far away was beautiful, but (yes there is a but) the excitement declines after going into a few temples. For someone who grew up in south east Asia, temples aren't very big deal for me. I guess you can compare it against a Caucasian getting overtly excited about seeing monkeys in public areas because they just don't get to see it in the city...

However some of the temples do look amazing, you just wonder how they were built and how big they are! Considering in those days there were no modern technologies for building such monuments.

So yeah, I do not have much to say about temples, shame on me I know, Angkor wat is one of the biggest things here in Siem Reap, but I'm just not a big fan, plus the weather today is scorching hot, with little or no clouds at all. Otherwise you may want to spend 2-3 days as there are more than 50 wats. I think I have gone to less than ten haha. The weather, the crowd, the smell all added up to us wanting to escape the area, not to mention peddlers who are so persistent with their products.

It's hard to say no to them, if they had opportunities they'd probably not be on the streets and hard sell everything, all I can say is thank god, we have moved forward so much and our tourism industry grew and became what it is today at the right time.

But one thing I am really proud of today is the perfect spot which I had taken a photo to add up to my collection of handstand pics!







It will soon be up on my Facebook

We had lunch around Pub Street again, in one of those alleys within the street, for some Khmer cuisine again. This time we had

Banana flower salad with chicken - US$2.50
Khmer traditional soup with fish - US$2.50
Khmer roasted duck - US$5.50
Drinks - US$1.50

Total US$12

After lunch is massage again! this time I opt for the back, shoulder and neck massage, as I didn't feel very comfortable with the masseuse going all liberal around my zen area... It's like my privacy was invaded by a stranger!! Just for the record, SHE did not touch but when someone gets close like around the area between your thigh and crotch my other leg gets all tensed up, probably a flight or fight reaction, probably if It was a guy I'd kick him.

For today, it was better but my masseuse were burping while she massaged me, and she sneezed, and then moved on to massage m head and my face. I was closing my eyes for the entire session, I do hope I was just imagining things.

It is really important to have on top of your mind how much you have to spend, but my noob didn't do so... What a noob! But nevertheless we still have extra money to spend on... Otherwise you guys probably have to wire some money for me first.

We headed to Blue Pumpkin again for some extraordinary slice of cake and ice cream before we headed back home for some well received rest. The image below to entice some of you





I wouldn't mind bringing the blue pumpkin franchise to Malaysia, I think it could work... Only if the quality is Consistent

So for dinner we are having pizza at Ecstatic Pizza, they are dubbed one of the best pizza joints in Siem Reap. The bruschetta, pasta and pizza were good, and for these three, we ended up paying US$15, including a glass of Margarita And a fruit shake. Unfortunately we asked for some additional herbs but we were denied of it by the owner :( and we moved on to the night market.




At the night market, it is similar to the Suan Lum market in Bangkok, but as usual almos everybody sells the same thing. I have to say for all the noob things she has done, bargaining and haggling is one thing that my girlfriend excels at. But little did we know after all those price talks from stall to stall, the prices of everything we bought were cheaper as we venture further into he market. Once a noob, always a noob!

Coincidently, I met an old friend there, of all places! I met Mr Liow... We both are in KL and we don't even meet by accident and now we meet in Cambodia! Weird!! And for his birthday, we had absinthe...!!




This is where we find some happiness!! And boy was it awkward that we're carrying the pizza all around!!

I have to say the Cambodians are very nice and courteous people, even to customers who are not buying their stuffs, and the guy from our hotel actually look for us for an hour to get us back to the hotel safely! Now tell me which hotel has this kind of service?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad 2

Location:Pub St Alley,Siem Reap,Cambodia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home