Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining

Last weekend has been a very hectic week for me. Been working like a dog and there was totally no room to breathe last week. In any case, peak periods do not last that long so i persevered. At the end of the day I felt great, cos I've managed to pull it thru with a little hard work and some help from colleagues and friends. The weekend was a great one, unfortunately weekends being weekends, didn't even feel like they lasted 48hours.

This week is a more quiet one, but sad unfortunately I've dragged my peak period a little too late now I only have about a week to rest before things get a little more crazy again. But I've never really liked quiet days so much, feels like you've got nothing to do ain't so good either. A balanced workload is what I'm looking for so to speak.

Throughout my 8 months stint in this company, I've already seen the departure of about 10 colleagues or more, and recently it has been a monthly affair, and the trend seems to be gaining frequency, of about twice a month. I believe the turnover rate for other companies are also high, but in my company, people are leaving as if we're having a downsizing.

While some are leaving this company as to progress to the next phase of their career, some are fresh graduates, that think this isn't their cup of tea. I'm not someone really experienced or an expert, but there's really one thing I've been thinking about that I'd like to share and advice to those who have just/almost graduated or are looking for a job.

Please bear in mind that, this is not my dream job, and neither did I really picked this particular job. This job came to me at a time when I was desperate and pressured to look for a job. I was hasty in my decision, but nevertheless I did not go into the wrong company or the wrong job. Well, to be honest my company does not pay well to freshies but we are not the lowest paying either. To put things clearly, we are not the highest paying MNC.

How much you wanna be paid is all about how good you are and how you sell yourself. Obviously the ability to boast helps. Its a shame that I do not how to shine.

To all you fresh grads, based on my experience working for close to a year already, if you don't know what you want, chances are you'll never know what you want until a year or you'll find something else to like. And you'll never know what something is like until you've given it a try. Metaphorically, some jobs are like acquired taste. I did not like bitter gourd until 15 years later (I know 15 years is too late to realize what job you wanna do). But what I'm telling you guys here is that you don't get KFC everyday. Sometimes you just gotta learn to eat that bitter gourd and get the hang of it.

So all you fresh graduates, stop demotivating me and other potential demotivated people already! What you see may not be what you get, so just stick to it for awhile and you never know, it might just be your cup of tea!

***

We're soon to establish a new state government, for the first time in 50 years, its actually the end of an era. This is a mark of history that will be remembered for the rest of the Malaysian history. For the first time 5 states will be governed by the opposition. I believe that all of us know that this is inevitable. I guess all this while it has been a give and take situation but it has finally came to an end.

Its only logical for the opposition to take a certain amount of control after more than 2 decade of strive, and this time around is the turning point for them. The fact that the rakyat has had enough of the political turmoils within Barisan, strengthened the will to have a better government.

Whether it is good news that the opposition has won the important states in Malaysia is a good news or not, is another issue. While it is true that everything has its begining, we are letting a new body of governance to take charge of our capital state, in which it bears a higher risk of not delivering its job.

While the rakyat has always have doubts on corruption and racial issues within the governance of BN, it is of no question that they will be a better ruler to our country. Rest assure that corruption does not only happen in Malaysia, but many other countries. Bear in mind we are an emerging country and problems like that are inevitable.

People always say that Singapore are better than Malaysia in everyway, and that they are much 'cleaner' compared to us, and that they do not have resources like us but they are able to sustain with better economy and social status than us. Well in this case, size does not matter because some might say if we let Malaysian government to take over singapore, we still may not prosper like how the singaporeans are.

Please bear in mind that places like the United States also have scarce resources but they have managed to position themselves as the centre of exchange, and I believe that is why they have managed to be the leader of the world. The same goes for Singapore, a land that does not have resources, however due to clever positioning and also the fact that they are one of Asia's point of exchange, being a port situated in the middle of southeast asia. And that is also how Hong Kong prosper much more than their mainland China. (This is, of course, only my opinion and POV).

I have mixed emotions when I found out about the wins from the opposition. I feel happy that now we as the rakyat is finally practicing our rights for democracy. I am happy that now our voice matter to the country and that we are going back on the right track. However, I also have doubt in the newly formed coalition government, the fact that they have no experience in governing a state. Nevertheless I am anxious to see what is going to happen and how much it would change our lives as the rakyat.



***

Some random photos! :D


Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess some people like working the other way round. Say putting away their initial plan of doing what they know they're better at because they just want to give it a try. Who knows, they might actually like the other job which most were skeptical about. At least they're doing it while they're still fresh outa uni rather than after 5 working years coz by then, they'd have to stick to doing something they dislike doing as it won't reflect well on their resume ;)

It's up to you whether to be affected by a high turnover or not. If you're ok with the job, it won't demotivate you that much =) As some have aptly put it, the first year outa uni is all about exploration. There's no right or wrong as to your decision to leave or to stay. In fact, you won't know whether a job is right for you even after 10 years. Sometimes, people are sucked into a bubble of routine and comfort that they can't get out of it until something triggers it.

If you force yourself into something, one day, you'll just reach your limit and realise that you've wasted possible opportunities that were waiting for you out there. Then again, the decision is in your hands as to which path to lead. At the end of the day, you're still learning something but in a different manner.

To fresh graduates out there, do not stick to a job because you feel obliged to and do not want people to think that you're not able to withstand the job scope. Have smart expectations and draw your limits. Know what you should be getting as a fresh graduate especially during your probation/training period. If you feel that your learning curve is steep but yet you're not being properly trained, do something about it and in worse case scenario, don't waste your time with a company that do not believe in investing in its people. Always remember that it takes two hands to clap.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

hmm.. very very true.. in contrast to what i said, i like ur thinking. Well then again, its very subjective, what you're saying. You are right about exploring what we're capable of while we can.

I have nothing against people who quit the company for better opportunities as that is the most sensible thing to do for anyone.

Maybe it is the way I was brought up in my family. Call me old fashion or a social mistake, I believe in perseverance. Its normal that reasons for one to quit are due to social pressure or work stress rather than seeing better opportunities. I won't deny that there are a handful that know where they are going, but many among us (including me) are looking down rather than staring at the stars.

I come from a family that lets me breathe freely, given a chance to do what I think suits me, but lives in the 'social trap'. I was taught not to be a quitter like many other people.

There are also people whom I believe stands out among us, and know what they are doing.

Like you said, there is no right or wrong, as bias as my post may seem, I am just speaking my mind out as to how people my age are behaving. Purely my POV.

Its especially true that you "don't waste your time with a company that do not believe in investing in its people"

:)

Thanks for your comment!

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home