Saturday, May 29, 2010

Chicken Fried!

Had lunch with my boss last wednesday at chef n brew. It's been awhile since I've had lunch with him, but its always refreshing talking casually with him. Alittle bit of history, before I was working under him, we occasionally talk about music and band stuff and eventually we did practice together on a couple of songs. So I kinda know how he is like and usually, the music people are on the same kinda wavelength... You know, talking about making it big in the industry, gaining fame, how fucked up a musician can be or how great a musician can be... You know, its always refreshing to talk about these things with a more experienced person.

More often than not, he'd ask me to pursue something I like and quit the company.. (Obviously if the thing that I like brings me the money). He's released an album, got his songs on the charts, got reviewed, He's earned his 15 minutes of fame and he's enjoyed and that's all that he wants. Its been 10 years since he tried to break into the industry, and so far, he's totally happy about where he's at.

He told me that "you know... I don't wanna have regrets in my life... When I'm 50, I wanna be telling my kids, I've bought my lottery ticket and I've hit my jackpot already and I'm happy now. It may not be the biggest thing but its something I'm gonna be proud of myself... and when its time, there should be a time where they'd buy their own lottery tickets and earn their jackpot."

Like each and everyone of us... "I've always dreamt that by the age of 30 I'll drive a ferrari at least, but I'm already mid 30s and its the reality we're talking about. I should have played down my game and instead of earning lots of money my dream should be to at least sleep with girls from as many different nationalities as possible." He was joking of course, as he shared with another colleague, I asked him, "how did the other colleague responded? (I was thinking the other colleague would probably be somehow appalled)"

"I think you're too greedy, I'd settle down when I'm done with South East Asia"

***

I guess the bond between me and my father hasn't grown any closer. Well I think it's very much of a guy thing. We were closer when I was younger but as we grow I guess the interests were different though we do share a few same things, but that's about it. It was easier when I was younger, we were more of listeners than speakers and we'd be easily pleased.

My dad's a man of a little words. My mom once tolds me: don't be like your dad... You should know how to talk your way through with a girl, your dad can be boring.

Well as we grew, we talk lesser. Just like my grandad, he's more of a doer than a talker. So one of the ways to bond is to assist him in his work or the things he like to do. He's not a business man where I talk about work with him, nor is he the cool dad who does the things young people do. My dad pays alot of attention on his cars and his sound systems. I guess that's how I try to strike a conversation with him. Just thought of writing this cos I broke the door handle of my car, and usually, my dad's sort of a problem solver. The ultimate DIY guy.

He'd take his tool box and start fixing things. So you know, it's one of the things where I either just let him do his things or learn the craft, which is how the traditional father and son bond with each other. Well I do hope I'd be as good as he is, he could fix one thing using other approach when the guy at the workshop can't. And that, definitely saves alot of money and of course, bonding.

***

I've never really like country songs, but this particular verse by Zach brown band's kinda awesome. Very well written verse; soothing, convincing and catchy - sans the country tune

And its funny how it`s the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live what you drive or the price tag on your clothes
There`s no dollar sign on a piece of mind; this i`ve come to know
So if you agree have a drink with me
Raise your glasses for a toast

Cold beer on a friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up
Well i`ve seen the sunrise
See the love in my woman`s eyes
Feel the touch of a precious child
And know a mother`s love

1 Comments:

Blogger hocus said...

Nice post.. :)

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home