Sunday, August 31, 2008

Twice as much ain't twice as good

This week has been very busy for me, I joined the company at the time where we are very much having our campaigns, promotions and what nots. Have exhausted my full tank in just 4 days from too much comuting from Bandar Utama, Bangsar, Klang and Shah Alam. Weekend's great, had another "too-much-to-drink-session" at a friend's place. Saturday's great too, watched The Love Guru with my parents in MV, I know its wrong to watch this movie with parents.
I've watched Death Race, and I shall review about it (don't worry - no spoilers)


To begin, this movie has a very limited development of characters, a very clear cut and simple plot, one dimensional characters, and predictable ending. Nevertheless, these are the aspects of a success formula for money generating movies. Not award winning material, obviously. Basically, high EFX budget, modern camera angle, perfect for high weekend grosses. Also, not cult material.

However, single dimensional roles has given very clear cut responsibilities for each actors. The bad guys are obvious, and the good guys easily noticeable. This has given the opportunity for the actors to be good at their roles, but very bad for Jason Statham. Jason is definitely a very good actor (albeit his very static expressions) but unfortunately, he never get good movies to shine on. But he is every production company's money maker. Tyrese Gibson also acted well as a racer whose desperate to set loose from prison. Robin Shou (of Mortal Kombat fame) also made appearance as a asian prisoner/driver but as usual, in American movies, Asians die fast.

Everything flows smoothly in the movie, Natalie Marinez plays the beatiful and dangerous side kick, Ian Mc Shane plays the mentor, and of course a few mobs add up to the adrenaline rush. Movie has a rather straight beginning up towards the end. With a "bash-em-up" theme behind the movie, the makers of the movie has set a very straight line in managing viewers emotion to the character and the storyline. A very 80s Jackie Chan story line style.
But Jason Statham fans would remind us, no one can be as cool as Jason but himself.

A good watch for the weekend, also, for such a power packed movie, for god's sake, watch in a THX cineplex.
P/s: I was taught to manage my expectations, so I know enough not to put high hopes, and just to enjoy it
***

I know I've asked many questions, stupid ones (but definitely made all of yous think for a minute or two, no?) and I'm going to ask yet another one. If you have watched any shows, well more usually, chinese series, dead grand parents or family members sometimes make appearance in dreams, or in the afterlife, or posessing a medium.

The past month was in the lunar calendar, the hungry ghost month. In Taoist temples, when we have ceremonies to chant for our elders in the underworld, it is often believed that their souls are set free and wander close to their family members. My father recently presented offerings to my grandparents on one of the nights when their souls return to their family. During such events, a medium will be around to "communicate" with the afterlife and convey the message to the respective family member. So my father was told that my grandparents are happy in the after world and have received enough food and money from my family.

It made me wonder, that when we always watch on the TV, when you are dead and your soul travels to the after world, they remain in the condition they were right before their demise. But I was wondering, my grandmother died with alzheimer, and before she died, she had already forgotten all of us, so if that's the case, how could she remember us, and said that we offered enough contributions? Sometimes, I don't wanna believe in spirits and all, but time and time again, Science failed me. And guys, TVB also failed us in explaining things like this.

***

Dear guys, soon enough, after putting the "buy-julian-a-key-chain" sidebar, I am going to also include my wishlist on the sidebar. Ok, I'm not that thick skin to ask all of you's to buy anything for me, cos I know the only thing I am gonna get are key chains. The reason I wanna put it in is to have some of you to tell me when and where can I get them. Cheap and nice.

Ok, I have a few things I want to buy, but I think I'm gonna need a bag more this time. What kind of bag? I don't know yet, maybe a messenger bag, duffel bag or a tote. These are the things I wanna put in the bag:

An Inspiron 1420 lap top ( Buying soon, got a good deal!


My Creative Zen Vision: M





Kodak C763 ( purchased )


My 1 GB Flash Drive





My Nokia 5300


And of course, my note book and a pen

Some lozenges

And of course, a hand sanitizer

I really like a tote bag, looks really classy. I'd like a bag where I can put my essentials and to bring around all the time with me. So if you see a nice cheap one, do let me know cos I don't wanna splurge on luxury items, like a stupid lousy vuitton bag, or a dumbhill bag. I don't believe in spending twice the price for a bag when you can buy it at half the price. I mean I'm in the marketing line, but I'm definitely not a believer of super over rated brand names. Maybe cos I'm in a different line. I still have faith in smart shoppers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home