Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Everybody wants to rule the world

I've got another stupid question. Sorry but this blog is not only for me to talk about my life, but as it says on my banner, its for those pathetic thoughts that matter!

Here goes:

This is my theory... we always see the world on a piece of map. Furthers point on the leftmost of the map: The western part of the US, while the the furthest point on the rightmost: The eastern side of China. That would mean it'll take a couple of days to actually fly from point A to B. But if you look at a globe, it'll look something like this:



As opposed to this:

From my second illustration, would it mean that since the world is round, the distance of the US to China will be just hours away? I don't know... I'm a guy who's not travelled the world yet. I'd like to know the answer cos Yahoo! Answers is downright pathetic!

any thoughts from anybody?

I've got all my gadgets in line already!

Dell Inspiron
Kodak c763
Creative Zen
Nokia 5300

and other accessories!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Hey man,

Regardless of what way you look at the map the distance is still the same.

A flight from, say, Vancouver to Hong Kong will still over 24 hours.

The reason it "looks" closer is because it's very hard to visualize the fact that the earth is round so the distance isn't all point A to B.

Imagine you were walking on a straight road from Point A to Point B. Then instead of taking the direct path you have to go up a big flight of stairs on one side and down on the other side before reaching your destination. (this is the world's curve).

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home